The department of Zoology is one of the oldest and well-established departments in North India, which has completed more than 100 years of teaching and research. It was shifted from Hoshiarpur to present campus at Chandigarh in July 1960. During these hundred years, it has many landmarks as its teaching and research activities changed from classical to the most recent ones in Zoology, and remained at the forefront both nationally and internationally. It has a strong faculty of 5 Professors, 1 Associate Professor and 1 Assistant Professor. Based on the performance of teaching and research potentials of the staff members, UGC had recognized the Department for Special Assistance Programme (SAP) in 1985 and extended it for two terms. Under the COSIST Programme, a grant of Rs. 42.5 lakhs was sanctioned for a five year term (1996-2001). 3rd Phase of SAP started from 2001-2006 with financial aid of Rs. 65.75 lakhs. On completion of the 3rd Phase of SAP, UGC review committee upgraded the department for CAS(Centre of Advance Study) in Biodiversity: Cell and molecular biology, with the financial assistance of Rs. 78.25 lakhs. from 2007-2012. In 2012 the department was recognised by the DST under its FIST programme and sanctioned a grant of 1.10 crores for 5 years.
University Enquiry Toll Free Number: 1800-180-2065 (from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 on working days including Saturday)